As of December 2010, certain units of the following vehicle models are under recall by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to address these potential issues (link to report is below the list):
- 2005-2007 Cadillac CTS for disabled front passenger airbags (p. 12).
- 2011 Cadillac Escalade EXT, Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado LD, and GMC Sierra LD vehicles for rear axle lock (p. 12).
- 2011 Cadillac SRX, Chevrolet Equinox, and GMC Terrain vehicles for safety belt buckle anchor fractures (p. 7).
- 2008-2010 Chrysler Town & Country and Dodge Grand Caravan for inadvertent airbag deployment (p. 4).
- 2009 Dodge Journey for side airbag impact sensor wiring (p. 15).
- 2011 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350, F-450, F-550, Edge and Lincoln MKX vehicles for an electrical short that could result in unattended vehicle fires (p. 15).
- 2010-2011 Honda Accord V6 and 2011 Honda Pilot for loss of steering (p. 11).
- 2007-2008 Honda Fit for inoperative low beam headlights (p. 7).
- 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe for a brake fluid leak (p. 5).
- 2010-2011 Ram (Dodge) trucks for brake pedals that are slow to return (p. 6).
- 2011 Ram 1500 trucks for rear axle bearing failures (p. 15).
- 2011 Toyota Sienna for brake drag (p. 7).
- 2006-2010 Volkswagen (VW) Jetta, Jetta Sportwagen, New Beetle, New Beetle convertible, Rabbit vehicles with 2.5 liter engines for fuel leaks (p. 7).
Additionally Hankook Tire is recalling certain P265/70R17S RH03 passenger car tires for premature sidewall wear and blowout risk (p. 2).
For details on any of the above recalls click here for the full report (PDF).
Cars Under Investigation
Automobiles that may be recalled pending a current engineering analysis are:
- 2002-2005 BMW 3 series sedans (E46)
- 2007 Chevy Tahoe and GMC Yukon
- 2001-2004 Ford Escape and Mazda Tribute
- 2002-2005 Ford Explorer and Mercury Mountaineer
- 2004-2006 Ford F150
- 2004-2005 Ford Freestar and Mercury Monterey
- 2002 Ford Taurus and Mercury Sable
- 1999-2003 Ford Windster (in Salt Belt states)
- 2003-2004 Infiniti M45
- 2003-2005 Infiniti Q45
- 2007-2008 Kia Sorento
The full list of vehicles and the reasons for their investigation by NHTSA is located here (PDF).
And one funny (but true) tidbit about getting the basics right:
Triumph is recalling certain model year 2010 Sprint ST and GT motorcycles. The plug/dipstick is of an incorrect length. As a result, the accuracy of the dipstick for measuring adequate levels of oil may be compromised and adequate oil levels may not be maintained. In adequate oil levels may cause the engine may to seize leading to a loss of control of the vehicle and increasing the risk of a crash. Dealers will replace the engine oil plug/dipstick fitted to the clutch cover. This service will be performed free of charge. The safety recall began on December 24, 2010. Owners may contact Triumph Motorcycle at 1-678-539-8782.